Questions For Another Shepherd

ram-group

I have been making such bad decisions regarding my ram Bambam recently that no longer trust myself.  These are not the worst decisions I have ever made (certainly in the top 10) but there seems to be a succession of them.

So he is healing from his fly strike well and only has a small open area left to heal.  The flies are currently gone with the change in the weather so I think we may be out of the woods with that.  But today when I grabbed him to look at his wound, his wool came out in clumps leaving bare skin. So now he has a bad wool break.  

And we have a large storm about to hit.  It is supposed to be as ferocious as the Columbus Day storm of 1962 which I grew up hearing about.  There is the potential for damaging winds and flooding.  If it floods bad enough we may have to evacuate the animals.

I moved the now ex-rams in with the flock, and there was only a small amount fo jostling so that went well.  Bambam currently has access to the barn for protection from the wind and rain.  And the temperatures are mild, although we hit freezing on Tuesday before the clouds rolled in.  

So my questions are:

Do I pull his wool now so cooler temperatures hit his skin and encourage rapid wool growth?  Do I leave it on through this storm and then pull it?  Or do I wait until there is new underlying growth before I pull it?  It might felt before then which would make everything miserable.  Or do I just leave him alone?

One reason I wanted to castrate Bambam rather than eat him was so I could have his beautiful wool.  Now I do not even have that so am very disappointed in this.  But I am now focusing on trying to keep him alive and well after the horrible experiences he has gone through recently.

bambam-with-wool-break

Advertisements
This entry was posted in Farm. Bookmark the permalink.

4 Responses to Questions For Another Shepherd

  1. Denise says:

    really glad to hear that BamBam is healing from the flystrike. I don’t have any experience or expertise in these matters, but my gut tells me it might be best to just let wool shed naturally if it’s going to, so as not to cause him any additional stress while he’s recovering.

    Like

  2. Kim Kerley says:

    Hi Donna, I would leave the wool through the storm as is. It will just be a day or two. If he does have access to the barn and you can put him in somewhere sheltered to roo him later. You can do that later once you know what is going on. If you have to move him, he will be better off with his wool. You can also wait till he has more below the break and is not bald. I would probably do that myself if he was mine. You will still be able to use the wool, spinning maybe harder with the smaller pieces but for the most part it would still be beautiful.

    Like

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s