So it has been raining down more chicks from the hay loft. Thursday morning I found three live chicks and three dead ones that had fallen from their mother’s nest in the loft. One was alive under her as well as a 1/2 dozen unhatched eggs. I gathered up all the chicks (including the seemingly dead ones) and the eggs. I put them all in a pet carrier with her. (It is not a dead chick until it is warm and dead. Sometimes warming will bring them back to life.) She settled in well, taking care of her new nest.
The dead chicks did not make it, but the live ones did. Today there are 6 chicks and 4 unhatched eggs. She may be losing interest in setting on the eggs, but at least I was able to save these 6 chicks. Hopefully this is the last of the hay loft nests!
In completely different news, the weather has changed. Here is my laundry earlier this week.
But now the forecast is for more than 1 week of rain. So far not too much, but hopefully it will be enough to put out the fires, clear out the smoke and make the grass grow again. No more clothes line use for a while.